Church & Hawes are able to assist tenants in finding a property with regular updates so as to ensure you are best placed to find a property. All properties are available to view on our website and all other property portals. Once a tenancy has been agreed the process is managed by our dedicated moving in team, who will assist you with the process until completion.

Please view our Tenants Guide to Letting for further information.

You can read about our Tenant Fees here.

Immigration Act 2014

From the 1st December 2014 all landlords/agents will be required to check the immigration status of their tenants and any occupants above the age of 18.

Please see this link explaining the legislation and the documents that are acceptable.

For further information contact your local office of Church & Hawes.

Tenants Guide to Letting

We hope you find our Tenants Guide to Letting useful. Please read the following information as this may assist in speeding up the process.


Church & Hawes properties are offered for "To Let" on "Assured Shorthold Tenancies" with the initial rental term being a minimum of 6 months (a longer period can be mutually agreed between landlord and tenant). At the end of the fixed term the landlord and tenant may agree to renew for a further fixed period (involving the signing of a new tenancy agreement). If this is not the case the existing tenancy will automatically become a periodic contract which can be terminated by the Tenant with one months notice or two months notice from the Landlord.


All Tenants intending to make an application for a Church & Hawes property MUST be referenced (Please ask at the branch dealing with your selected property for current referencing costs THESE COSTS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and applicable to all persons over 18 years of age). A credit check will be made during the referencing process and therefore a form of identification will be required acceptable ID includes, Driving Licence or Utility Bill (not more than 3 months old) the ID needs to relate to your current address.   PLEASE NOTE A PASSPORT IS NOT SATISFACTORY. The letting of the property is subject to satisfactory references being received from our Credit Checking Agency.


A fee, of £160 inclusive of VAT per property is payable to Church & Hawes for preparation of the contracts, printing and supply of all other literature as required.


A deposit, equal to 1½ months of the total rent for the property, which is held during the tenancy as security for the property (by Church & Hawes as stakeholder for security breaches of the tenancy agreement). The condition of the property will be as per inventory provided to the tenant when they move in. Any amendments to the inventory made by the tenant will need to be returned to Church & Hawes within 7 days. Church & Hawes are registered members of "The tenancy Deposit Scheme". This provides you as the tenant further security as your deposit will be held by Church & Hawes and registered (with a unique reference code, details will be provided to yourselves by Church & Hawes once registration has taken place).

The deposit together with the first months rent MUST be received as cleared funds by Church & Hawes prior to occupation. This can be paid by Electronic Transfer (please ask for our bank account details), Bankers Draft or printed Building Soceity Cheque. Personal cheques can be accepted, but these must be received a minimum of 5 working days in advance prior to the signing of the tenancy agreement, so as to allow the funds to clear. CASH IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.


The Landlord may provide an Inventory of condition (this may also include photographs). It is important that any items/details that have been missed are promptly added by the tenant and returned to Church & Hawes within 7days.  If there is any dispute at the end of the tenancy the "Tenancy Dispute Service" will make a decision using this document on whether to allocate all or part of the deposit to the Landlord based on damage caused.


Church & Hawes will take instructions from their landlords as to whether pets are acceptable. Please mention prior to viewing if you require permission for pets at the property. You will be required to ensure that you have completed a Pet Permission form (detailing any pets to live at the property during the tenancy) prior to moving in.

Decorating, Changes and Alterations

In submitting an application to take a tenancy for a Church & Hawes property, you have deemed to have accepted the property's condition and decorative order as found on the viewing appointment. If you propose to carry out any changes prior to/during the tenancy, you must inform Church & Hawes in order to seek written permission from the landlord before any works are started. The landlord reserves the right to refuse permission for any changes or alterations. You will also be required to complete a Church & Hawes decoration/alteration form.

Energy Performance Certificate

It is a legal requirement for the landlord to provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property. This will be provided to the tenant prior to moving in.